Friday, March 24, 2006

Poker Dictionary

I created an online poker dictionary today. The site is http://linkspider.serversystems.net/dictionary/poker/

About a year and a half ago I considered what would happen if I created a website with 20,000 web pages and put ads on the pages. My theory was that people would click on the ads and I would make money off of it. I was skeptical but I gave it a try. I took a public domain copy of Webster's dictionary from 1932 and created a database and then had web pages dynamically created from the dictionary data. It turned out when I was finished I had 104,000 web pages.

What truly surprised me was that from the first month I started getting revenue from the project. And I have gotten paid from it for more than 18 months. Of course, some months I make less than $20. But it was an experiment in search engine optimization (SEO) and internet advertising.

Back in November, I created a poker site with similar advertising. With only about 40 web pages, I was suddenly making almost the same amount of revenue. On the poker site my click through rate was higher and my revenue per click was much, much higher. Almost makes me want to create a web site about cancer.

So my poker dictionary is really a SEO trick to try to bring in more ad revenue, and of course promote the poker site. I'm curious how it will turn out.

No comments: